Posted on: Jul 31, 2013

If you are having a dispute with your employer/employee you should first try and discuss it with them. This isn’t always easy but it is a necessary step towards solving any dispute. If you can’t resolve the problem with your employer/employee then you have a few other options available:

  1. If you are an employee and belong to a union they can support you – speak to your onsite delegate or representative or contact the union directly if you’re not sure who you delegate is.
  2. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (previously called the Department of Labour) have some information on their website under the “Employment Relations” tab at or you can call them directly on 0800 20 90 20. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment advises both employees and employers about their rights and obligations, and provides a free mediation service to help resolve employment disputes.
  3. A Citizens Advice Bureau or Community Law Centre may be able to give you some free legal advice
  4. Employment relations specialists such as us! Paul Diver Associates can help with more complex situations by providing expert advice, representation at meetings, correspondence throughout the dispute resolution process, and attending mediation and/or the Employment Relations Authority if required.  Just contact us if you need specialist assistance, we’ll be happy to help.



This article, and any information contained on our website is necessarily brief and general in nature, and should not be substituted for professional advice. You should always seek professional advice before taking any action in relation to the matters addressed.